Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Episode 29: Bubble Maineia

The name is ridiculous. The menu is limited. But Bubble Maineia almost certainly serves the best Chinese food in Maine. Possibly the best Chinese food north of Boston. And if one limits one's consideration to the sub-genre of "Taiwanese snack food joints," then they've even got some of their countrymen in Flushing beat. If I worked in Portland, I would be seriously tempted to eat lunch there every day. As it is, I know what my response will be from now on whenever the Little One asks for Chinese.

If only they were open on Christmas.

Things to order: The beef stew noodle soup, spicy and fragrant with star anise, and generously loaded up with both meat and bok choi; the teriyaki pork bun; the five spice egg. There's more that's probably just as good if not better, but this is what I've been able to sample so far. Washed down on a cold night with a hot ginger almond milk tea, and it hit all the right spots.

Dear Portland foodies: Don't complain, just go, and order widely and adventurously. If that beef stew noodle soup goes the way of the erstwhile tortas at Taco Trio, or the rumored Three Cup Chicken at Chia Sen, I will blame you collectively and individually, and curse you deeply in my soul.

Dear proprietors of Bubble Maineia: Would you consider running some Taiwanese favorites as specials? Perhaps an oyster pancake--that would showcase Maine's native bounty of the sea. And if you have a stash of stinky tofu in the back, I would pay top dollar (at least as long as Hot Librarian is not dining with me). And just one thing more: Could you please open, for just a couple hours around lunchtime, on December 25th? We'd tell every Jew we know in town and make it worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment