Monday, February 6, 2012

Episode 22: Jungle Curry and Cretons in Lewiston

A new full-time job is going to make my postings a bit less frequent. And it means that more of them will be reviews of good places to eat in Lewiston and Auburn.

I have two good finds already. The first, Thai Jar Earn Express, is worth a visit if one happens to be in town. I have not yet had a chance to try any of Portland's reputedly good Thai restaurants. But for anyone in Androscoggin County, this place seems to provide a good representation of the cuisine's delicacy and diversity. I ordered a jungle curry with duck. It came out redolent of fish sauce, lime juice, chilis and other seasonings, and the quantity of sauce was more than enough to serve with the rice. But the duck itself still had crispy skin. A well-executed version of a favorite.

Today I visited a rather different eatery at lunch, Edward's Restaurant at 760 Main Street in Lewiston. It's a hole-in-the-wall diner in a desolate-looking shopping center, but the atmosphere was friendly, and they had homemade cretons, a French-Canadian classic. Piggy and nicely seasoned--I could eat it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment